The renovation of the Stanley Mosk Library and Courts Building’s primary goal was to bring back the historic character of the landmark 188,000 sf, 5-story granite building originally built in 1928, and to upgrade the building’s infrastructure systems to support future needs. The project also included seismic upgrades.
Renovations included, upgrading security, accessibility, fire and life safety systems, repairing roof and shell damage, structural improvements, abatement of hazardous materials and restoring historic features such as ceilings, lights, elevators, and public art. The project succeeded in making these upgrades while preserving the building’s historic features and achieving a LEED accreditation.
MatriScope provided special inspections and material testing related to cast-in-place concrete, concrete formwork and reinforcement, concrete masonry units, post-installed anchors, steel decking, and structural steel.